Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Trichomoniasis in Men

 Monster1 - Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:54 am

Hi I was diagnosed w/Trich 7/06; 1/07 and most recently 1/09. My husband claim he has not been cheating. In 1/07 we were treated with the same medication 500mg of metronidazol 2x a day for seven days. Did not drink any alcohol. After that I had no symptoms. I was on the bc pills so we had unprotected sex through out 2007 until May 2008 when my birth controls prescription ran out. We used a condomn May 2008 to December 25, 2008. We had unprotected sex 12/25/08. 1/8/09 I had syptoms and went to the doctor and was diagnosed with Trich a third time. My GYN said the prescription she gave 1/07 is 99% effective if taken properly and so did not prescribe anything for him this time. Instead said he should go see an internist. The internist said there was no test she could perform on him to see if he had Trich. I ask is it possible for it to have laid dormaint in him all this time (2 years) and given it to me again? She did not give me a clear anwser she said you either have it or you don't and it's a sextually transmitted disease. She went on to say she'll treat him as though the first treatment failed. I have never had this disease until I met this man, every time I had syptoms its after intercouse with my husband. Please explain is it true no test can accurately prove if he has it or not? If he was not completely treated the 2nd time could Trich have laid dormaint in his system for two years and it not be transmitted to me until now? Should I get tested again after my medication has run out?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:38 pm


The information you were given that no test exists for detecting Trichomoniasis in males is absolutely incorrect.

Male partners of infected females can be tested for this sexually transmitted infection using either a First Catch Random Urine or Semen or PCR Swab. The test is known as the Trichomonas vaginalis by PCR test..

However, the presence of a single sexually transmiited disease in any sexually active person should prompt a search for others. I would therefore advise that you and your husband undergo a test known as the Sexual Health Profile by PCR. In this profile both of you will be tested for the following seven sexually transmtted diseases using only one sample from each of you:

Chlamydia trachomatis
N. gonorrhoea
Mycoplasma genitalium
Ureaplasma urealyticum
Trichomonas vaginalis
Gardnerella vaginalis
Herpes Simplex Types I amd II

I hope this information is helpful.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us