Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Fungal infections

Question: Is there such a thing as an"Anal Yeast Infection"

 tiredofthisalready - Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:11 pm

I have been suffering with hemorrhoids for the past 6 months now and am wondering if I may have a yeast infection. While I can get the roids to go away with treatment, they always seem to come right back. I have been doing sits baths now for a few weeks and have developed jock itch now as well. I am wondering if this may be some kind of yeast infection that has now spread to the jock area. Could I have had an anal yeast infection this entire time and now it has spread to the jock area?

Once I get the swelling down from the roids, the itching seems to get worse then the swelling comes right back. I don't have any hard lumps like I had the last time I had roids, just swelling and itching with an occasional spot of blood on the toilet paper.

Can I just try a product like Monostat and see if it helps? Would there be any harm in trying?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:12 pm

User avatar Hello,
Using powder spray of clotrimazole for groin, testicular, inner gluteal fold/anal area would help with any fungal infection.
Remember to keep the area clean and dry. Treatment takes 2-4 weeks.

Management of hemorrhoids includes sitz baths, hydrocortisone cream, witch hazel preparation, avoiding straining during bowel movements.

If no better with home treatment, consult your family physician.

Hope this helps.

Let us know how things turn out.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us