Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Could there be some infection through bruise dressing?

shyampeace - Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:58 am

Hi Doctor,
I fell down while running and got a bruise on my knee. I went to a clinic to get it dressed. The nurse did a good dressing.
However, when I asked her if the scissors she used for dressing was Sterilised, she replied that they did not have a sterilising equipment there. However, she said that she washes the Scissors with Dettol after each use.

While doing the dressing, she gently touched the bruise with the scissors twice or thrice to remove some cotton.

Could this cause any infection like HIV/Hepatitis etc...

Please reply as I am very anxious and tense...please help.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:03 pm

While there might be a very slight risk of infection of some sort via this route, it is very slim, and the use of Dettol would pretty much eliminate it altogether, as the sort of viruses you're concerned about wouldn't survive such a cleaning, and don't survive for very long at all anyway on environmental surfaces, like a lot of bacterias can. I'd say the risk of an infection via this route is next to nil.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.