Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Can herpes outbreaks migrate to another location?

db78 - Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:47 pm

I was diagnosed with genital herpes over a year ago that occurs and has reoccurred at the base of my penis. I have suddenly developed a sore near the top/center of my buttocks that looks like a herpes outbreak. Can the same herpes infection migrate to another location or should I be concerned that this may be something different?[
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:48 pm

Yes, the herpes outbreak can occur in a different location as you describe. This would be quite likely the cause and I would not be alarmed that it is something else, though it would be impossible to say for sure.

bigwhiteguy - Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:38 am

Do the herpes outbreaks leave discoloration in the skin. Like scars after you have picked a scab from your skin?

Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:42 am

Scarring can occur especially if you scratch the lesions. Try to avoid this, use anti-itch medication, local anesthetics and pain killers to reduce this risk.