Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: My boyfriend has syphilis and I don't. Why is this??

MrzDiaz08 - Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:24 pm

I have recently been tested for syphilis and my test came back negative for it. When my boyfriend was tested a few weeks after me his came back positive for it so I got a test done again to see if it was there. My second test came back negative.So my question is since my boyfriend and have been in a monogamous relationship and have not been using any protection during sex for over a year, how is it that his test is coming back positive for syphilis and mine came back negative both times? Please explain this to me if you can.

Thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:42 pm

Not everyone who is exposed to a disease actually gets it. If he did not have a sore to secrete infection and your immune system has been strong enough to fight infection, it is possible to dodge the bullet. It sounds like you have been fortunate. But, in an ongoing relationship, it is still possible for you to test positive if he has just recently been diagnosed. Some people don't show symptoms until 90 days after exposure, though it is more typically 21 days. If he is treated and you remain negative, count yourself very lucky.