Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Questions about getting a cold from others

MyraBlue - Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:07 pm

HI. Not that long ago I had the flu. I was coughing and coughing very badly and I was sick for weeks. I'm much better now, but not 100%. I had one coughing fit yesterday. Usually I don't cough any more, but I have coughed a few times today, although they were not coughing fits. I also have slight sniffles. My nose is very, very, slightly stuffed up. I haven't seen my boyfriend in a long time. I am supposed to see him today and he told me he has a cold. He is congested with a slight fever, but he still wants to see me. I was thinking about canceling my date with him. Is that over reacting? If he is not sneezing or coughing, can I still get sick from him? If he is coughing and I am in the car with him, is there any way I can prevent getting sick? Thanks. Lee
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:38 pm

The many viruses that cause colds can affect you at any time. Just because you had one cold doesn't mean you can't catch another. You do run some risk of exposure here but if you decide to go out, he should be cautious to use tissues, then throw them away (for any discharge), cover his mouth when coughing and wash hands frequently. In some places it is very common for someone with a cold to wear a surgical (paper) mask while they have a cold to prevent its spread to others at work, on public transportation, etc. This is a very polite custom often seen in Japan.