Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Unprotected anal intercourse, possibility of disease?!

 Reallyworried - Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:42 am

Ok, I messed up, I know I did. I was caught up in the moment, and I had unprotected anal intercourse with my girlfriend.

Now, I am very worried. I know it was a stupid thing to do, but I have a few questions.

First off, is HIV something that can only be contracted from somebody else who has the disease or is it something that can be created by two non-carriers? I was a virgin, so I'm sure I don't have it, and I'm fairly sure she doesn't either, what are the chances that either of us contracted it?

Also, just moments ago (the intercourse occurred Saturday night), I noticed two small red bumps in my genital area. One was located mid-shaft, the other on the scrotum. They don't hurt or itch particularly, but I am very worried about my stupid mistake the other night. What could i possible have? I have had small white bumps before (months, even years ago), but they went away, I assume it was something unimportant.

Recently, I have noticed my genital areas itching more as well. It is not to a horrendous point, however. I have always been itchy, as I am a hairy person who attempts to control with persistent shaving. This may just be awareness induced by paranoia, but I suppose it is mentionable nonetheless.

Please, any and all input would be fantastic, I really need to know.

Thank you for your help in advance.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue May 05, 2009 7:12 pm

User avatar Hello,
Let me reassure you that if neither of you is positive for HIV, you cannot create it on your own. Itching can be caused by a number of things, as you said, such as shaving, yeast infection (Jock itch), etc. The anal sex itself is most risky for infection since you could get some ecoli (normal bacteria in the colon which can cause urinary infection). If you move from anal sex to vaginal sex, there is a possibility of spreading infection to her as well, so condoms should be changed at that point. Your partner is actually the one to have the most potential harm through this type of sex since the tissues are quite delicate and can be torn, especially if there was inadequate lubrication or you were rough or too fast.

You can transmit HIV this way if either of you is positive. Sexually active young people should be tested periodically for sexually transmitted infections. Usually tests can detect infection within six months of exposure.

Best wishes.
 Ragefish - Sun May 31, 2009 3:16 am

Just to emphasize what Debbie said, you 100% cannot create HIV if both of you are negative. Simply impossible.

Now then, onto business. The best thing for you to do is get tested a few months after the sexual encounter with her. That's the only way to know for sure, and trust me, it will be a huge relief once you know. A simple blood test at an annual doctor check up is really all it takes, and even if I haven't been sexually active, I get tested for things like HIV just to be reassured. Just ask for the doctor to check for it (blood test) and that's all there is to it. I would suggest getting tested 3 months from when you posted this, then again at 6 months just to be safe (actually, it's a smart idea to be tested every six months just to be safe). There is always a risk of you contracting the virus, even if you use a condom (just as there are risks of pregnancy and plenty other things) so the best thing to do is make sure both you and your partner are tested.

The bumps you found on your genitals could, like Debbie said, be MC or another type of STD. However, (and men seem to do this often... We're such worriers deep down) it could quite possibly be nothing. Bumps and marks can appear on the genitals just as they can appear anywhere else on the body, so don't be too alarmed just yet. It could be simply psychosomatic, meaning you were anxious and nervous about the situation with your partner, so in your anxiety, you caused some stress related marks to appear down there. I would give it a few days, maybe a little more than a week, and if the condition is still there, see a doctor, and it can be easily treated. In the mean time, don't have sex.

Let us know how things turn out.


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us