Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Swine Flu

Newway1392 - Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:50 pm

According to the CDC you cannot get the swine flu from eating pork, yet many countries are destroying their pigs and outlawing the consumption. I am assuming they are destroying the pigs to stop further contamination, however, why are they not allowing pigs to be consummed especially pork from Mexico and parts of the US? I have recently bought pork and I need to know if I should return it.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue May 05, 2009 6:12 pm

This flu has been found in swine populations. The World Health Organization (WHO) has stated that there is no reason to believe that pigs are transmitting the flu onto humans. So, if they are destroying pigs it is either because they do not understand the implications (or lack thereof) or they are hoping to prevent the spread among their own pig herds. This is considered an extreme and unnecessary reaction, done in fear or due to religious bias relating to pork.

There is no need to return the pork because of such fear.