Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Doxycycline accepted treatment for HAMRSA

Daisee - Thu May 21, 2009 11:10 am

I underwent abdominal surgery last year. A couple weeks following the procedure my surgical wound began to ooze a large amount and overall health began to deteriorate. My surgeon called me with the culture and sensitivity results and told me to start Doxycycline 100 mg twice a day. Is doxycycline an accepted treatment for Hospital Acquired MRSA? Is it effective alone?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:22 pm

User avatar Hi Dr.Jagesh kamath,
Doxycycline is an accepted alternative drug for CA-MRSA(community aquired) infections.But as far as HA-MRSA(Health care associated) is concerned,the jury is still out.
Studies are on-going to sort out this problem.
In any case, Doxycycline is contraindicated in patients less than 9 years of age.
I thank you for referring this problem to me.

Dr.M.Aroon Kamath
MB BS, MS, FRCS(Edinburgh)

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us