Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Doxycycline accepted treatment for HAMRSA

Daisee - Thu May 21, 2009 11:10 am

I underwent abdominal surgery last year. A couple weeks following the procedure my surgical wound began to ooze a large amount and overall health began to deteriorate. My surgeon called me with the culture and sensitivity results and told me to start Doxycycline 100 mg twice a day. Is doxycycline an accepted treatment for Hospital Acquired MRSA? Is it effective alone?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:22 pm

User avatar Hi Dr.Jagesh kamath,
Doxycycline is an accepted alternative drug for CA-MRSA(community aquired) infections.But as far as HA-MRSA(Health care associated) is concerned,the jury is still out.
Studies are on-going to sort out this problem.
In any case, Doxycycline is contraindicated in patients less than 9 years of age.
I thank you for referring this problem to me.

Dr.M.Aroon Kamath
MB BS, MS, FRCS(Edinburgh)