Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Is toleit cleaner dangerous to get in a open wound?

B20Summer - Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:33 pm

Yesterday I was cleaning and I had a fresh cut. I got a good bit of cleaner in the cut. I've had diaria all day, sick to my stomach. Could the cleaner be causing this?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:40 pm

User avatar Hello B20Summer,

It is unlikely that your symptoms are related to getting the cleaner in your cut. Most likely, getting some cleaner on a cut in your skin is likely to feel like it is burning but is unlikely to do much damage if the cut is small and the exposure is limited.

When any household cleaner gets on the skin the best thing to do is rinse with plenty of water to get it off. Generally, contact with the skin is relatively harmless but can produce a nasty contact irritation occasionally. This, of course, is a generalization and there are specific chemicals that are more dangerous than others.

If you are ever in doubt I recommend you contact your physician or your local poison control. In the United States, poison control can be reached at 1-800-222-1222.