Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: distended stomach after recovery from cholera

generallyhealthy - Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:38 pm

I was working in a coastal region of Colombia last month and contracted cholera. I was diagnosed, given intravenous fluids, and recovered a week after symptoms began. I feel fine, but my stomach, which became distended while I had cholera, is still distended. I am not constipated, am not experiencing gas, and do not have diarrhea. It is a little bit uncomfortable, but not painful.

At first I thought it would go away after a few days, but it has now been three weeks since I recovered and there has been no change. Is it possible that I still have some infection? Or is this normal? Since I got back to the US, it is hard to find doctors with experience with cholera and have had trouble finding good medical advice on this. Thanks in advance for whatever help you can offer.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:12 pm

User avatar My impression is that this bloating is due to secondary lactose intolerance.It is best to avoid milk products for about two weeks.Do consult your physician, in any case.