Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Accedental Needle poking

Vikram - Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:10 am

Last night I went outside my house (to get a better signal on my cellphone), and I was stuck by a needle lying there on the ground. The some parts of needle was covered in mud, so I presume it was there for atleast a day, I have no idea how it got there. Should I be worried? Is there any chance that I could get infected?

I am kinda worried, Hoping to get some answer

Thank you
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:31 pm

User avatar Hello,It requires a column of blood for HIV transmission with a high level of virus and tha mentioned is most unlikely to cause HIV transmission even hypothetically.The other condition is HepatitisB for which there need not be much blood required for transmission but then if you are immunised with a shot earlier you need not worry,and also 90% clear it in a few weeks.HepatitisC in a health care setting after needlestick injury may be 2% but they deal with fresh blood and diseased patients.While there is very little risk it would be prudent to get tested for the unlikely chances of the conditions,the later ones more considered.Also remember that HIV virus does not live outside body for long making the chances to near zero.Best wishes.