Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Gonorrhea of the eye???

swiftkickstudios - Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:13 pm

Can you contract Gonorrhea through sharing eye makeup with an infected person?

A couple of my gay friends (men) contracted Gonorrhea in New Orleans over the weekend. They came over to my house before any of them had been treated and we were all putting makeup on each other. There was no sexual activity of any kind. This morning I woke up with my eye feeling a little sore, almost like the vague beginnings of pink eye. Can I contract this from touching an infected persons eye, then my own...or possibly through using the same eye makeup? If so, do I need to throw away the makeup I used?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:27 am

User avatar Hello,Most infections of the eye by gonococcus,in an adult is by auto innoculation ie the patient transmitting mostly from his or her fingers from the urethral infection.I do not know whether there was an accidental touch to your eyes.It is best not to take risks and best to avoid the makeup set.Also you need to get tested for a smear to rule our the infection and appropriate treatment given at the earliest in the form of antibiotic.This has to be done immedietly to avoid any complications.Ok?