Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: What are some reasons why the labia would be stretched?

roxyeah - Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:06 am

Because one of mine...has been stretched since I was really young, I'm 17 now, it's not differently colored or anything, it's just...stretched. How could this of happened? I wasn't having sex at the time either of course...
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:16 am

There are a few causes that could result in the kind of picture you have outlined...

- Congenital hypertrophy of th labia: Usually observed at puberty. This condition is believed to be an anatomic variant rather than an actual congenital malformation.
Rarely, it occurs as a result of lymph stasis or chronic physical pulling on the labia.

- Congenital arterio venous malformations of the labia.

- Plexiform neurofibromatosis (a type of neurofibromatosis wherein the skin is hypertrophied and thrown into folds).

Some studies have shown that congenital malformations were slightly commoner in the infants of primigravidae; in the infants of mothers >41 years of age, the incidence was increased threefold.