Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: AIDS

Question: Infected By Careless Nurse With Flu Shot?

Lance - Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:59 am

I just got my flu shot at work Tuesday but after receiving the shot I declined a bandaid from the nurse and she then looked at the entry point and I think she then SWIPED IT WITH HER FINGER! She then picked up a cotton swab and applied it and let me take it. I got to the restroom about a minute later where I washed of the entry point with water and then realized I had hand sanitizer and applied that as well. I know I am probably overreacting but the next day I started having cold symptoms and I guess it freaked me out thinking my immune system might suddenly be 'weaker' since I rarely get colds. I'm sorry, I know I'm probably being silly but I guess I am petrified of that thought of getting something like HIV and that I will infect my wife who is breastfeeding our son.
 Lance - Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:09 am

I should add part of my worries is this nurse had done several shots before me with people on my floor at work-many of which I know fall into the 'high-risk' group for HIV.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:47 am

User avatar Hello, you can not transmit HIV by touch.Even a neede prick needs a column of blood to transmit and casual touch or skin to skin contact even with a punctured skin will not spread the infection even assuming that the nurse has the infection.It is fear and anxiety that make you feel that way.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us