Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: H1N1 vaccine and pregnancy

romie - Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:55 am

I'm in my first trimester of pregnancy and seriously concerned about the H1N1 virus. How safe is the vaccine for the mother and unborn child? When is it safe to be administered? Is the perservative thimerosal dangerous??

Thank You
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:37 pm

All the flu vaccines are considered safe in pregnancy and are encouraged since flu can be dangerous in a pregnant woman. The trace amounts of preservatives have not been shown to be a problem, however there are single doses of vaccines (as opposed to multi-dose vials) that do not contain a preservative if you prefer not to have this.

Best wishes in your pregnancy.