Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: HSV antibodies?

stretch4evr - Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:57 am

My girlfriend recently tested positive for HSV antibodies. However she has never had a coldsoar or any other outbreak in her entire life. What does it mean to test positive for HSV antibodies? Does this mean she has HSV? Do I run the risk of contracting HSV myself?
Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:58 am

User avatar Hello,It does not need a person cold sores to develop antibodies to the herpes virus.Most are asymptomatic, be it type1 or type2.However it does not correlate always to active infection.That only means the person was exposed to the virus sometime.Generally recurrent blister formation and demonstration from the vesicles would be consistent with disease.Since in a population the positive reaction is high becomes a poor indicator of herpes simlex.Ok?