Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: boil under left armpit

pastor34 - Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:16 pm

I currently have a boil under my left arm. I was told it was due to my sweat glands. I have currently had 5 infections since August. Now I'm experiencing pain in both of my breast. They are swollen and inflamed. It hurts to touch them and wearing a bra is unbearable. No, I'm not pregnant, I have had hysterectomy. What do you think is going on?

slm
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:46 am

User avatar Hello,Recurrent folliculitis is not uncommon in areas like armpit and respond to antibiotics and antibacterial cremes.The less common and more distressing is hidradenitis suppurativa due to blockage of apocrine glands which forms multiple abscesses.Obesity is said to be an associated factor.Nonhealing abscess with sinus formation with discharge are characterestic.Due to low grade inflammation the abscess never points out and becomes chronic.It is best to rule this for the treatment would differ.Excision surgery may be needed in hidradenitis while in a regular abscess incision and drainage would suffice if there is a pointing abscess.Most cases may only need antibiotic therapy.Best wishes