Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: AIDS

Question: aids

Nicole - Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:27 am

Hello. I have a quick question. I was taking a urine sample from a foley cathetar at a hospital and it had to be sterile so i used a needle. I was wearing gloves but I accidently poked myself. Is it possible to get aids if that person had it? I wasn't sure if aids was apparent in urine or not... please reply asap because I am starting to scare myself! Thanks a lot!
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:39 pm

Dear Nicole,

An infected person can transmit the HIV virus to another person through:

Blood (including menstrual blood)
Semen
Vaginal secretions
Breast milk

According to current evidence, the following "bodily fluids" are NOT infectious:

Saliva
Tears
Sweat
Faeces
Urine

I hope this information is helpful and reassuring. Thank you for contacting our website.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us