Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Does HSV-2 cause MS?

howcreative - Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:44 pm

I have been diagnosed with genital herpes for approx 2 years now. Doing some research on MS for school i ran across a couple of articles that advised there may be a correlation between HSV-2 and MS. However i could get no definitive answers from the articles. I am otherwise a very healthy male the age 25. I just had a physical 3 weeks ago and all bloodwork was good. In addition i had a MRI done in june of 09 due to a minor head injury i suffered while playing football-all was clear as far as any brain injury. Been worrying a bit i may get MS due to my herpes so i wanted to provide this info and hopefully get either some reassurance or facts surronding this...thank you
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:41 am

User avatar Hello,Some viruses are triggered in patients with multiple sclerosis.Though many workers have imlpicated cytomegaloviruses and HHV6 in the pathogenisis in a small subset in causing tissue damage, it is like putting the cart in front of the horse and fear a multiple sclerosis due to HSV2.Experimental work along these lines do appear in print but nothing substansive to cause fear, like what you express.Cheers.