Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Does HSV-2 cause MS?

howcreative - Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:44 pm

I have been diagnosed with genital herpes for approx 2 years now. Doing some research on MS for school i ran across a couple of articles that advised there may be a correlation between HSV-2 and MS. However i could get no definitive answers from the articles. I am otherwise a very healthy male the age 25. I just had a physical 3 weeks ago and all bloodwork was good. In addition i had a MRI done in june of 09 due to a minor head injury i suffered while playing football-all was clear as far as any brain injury. Been worrying a bit i may get MS due to my herpes so i wanted to provide this info and hopefully get either some reassurance or facts surronding this...thank you
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:41 am

User avatar Hello,Some viruses are triggered in patients with multiple sclerosis.Though many workers have imlpicated cytomegaloviruses and HHV6 in the pathogenisis in a small subset in causing tissue damage, it is like putting the cart in front of the horse and fear a multiple sclerosis due to HSV2.Experimental work along these lines do appear in print but nothing substansive to cause fear, like what you express.Cheers.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us