Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Can HPV spread to other areas of the body?

 quietstorm - Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:59 pm

I was diagnosed with genital warts (HPV) back in 2001. I had a Rx of cream which made the cauliflower-like sores go away. I never had another sore until I contracted herpes from my longterm boyfriend. Still, no sign of the warts. Anyway, so I got a wart on my finger which I treated with an over the counter wart remover. No more problems. Well about a week or so ago I got a really dark rash that appeared on my chest in between my breasts. I see a cauliflower-like sore there and Im freaking out. Before I head to my gynecologist I wanted to find out if genital warts (HPV) can spread throughout my body and if there is any way that this rash could be caused by the STD I contracted in 2001. Please give me some insight. What could this be?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:41 am

User avatar Hello,The genital type of HPV has predilection to mucus membranes like penile,vaginal,and anal.Rarely oral especially in children subjected to fellatio as a sexual abuse.The non genital HPVs do occur elsewhere in the skin rather than the mucosa.Also condylomata are sexually transmitted and it enters an abraded skin.The lesion on the breast area could be a common wart and most unlikely to be of condylomata acuminata.Best wishes.
 quietstorm - Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:10 am

Ok so what can I do to get rid of this problem? Can I treat them like I would regular warts or do I need to see a DR to be treated like genital warts? They itch terribly and its surrounded by a bunch of small bumps. What should I do?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:58 am

User avatar Hello,It is unlikely thats wart would itch that much.A seborrheic dermatitis or a fungal infection would and the location is favorable in contemplating a diagnosis.Best to get a consultation and it would be very wrong to treat for a wart with out being sure.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us