Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Is gonorrea reinfective?

ujjal mondal - Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:39 am

Hello doctor,I was suffering from gonorrea and prescribed aciclovir(zovirax 200 mg 5 tablets daily x 11 days) after 3days of the appearence of the symptoms(fever during 2 days,burning urination,white spot on penes).now all symptoms are gone with the white spot which is almost gone.my girlfriend had no symptoms.both of us have not any othere sexual relationship.I want to konw that is the infection will come again to me or she even both of us take complete treatment ?Is the virus or the bacteria of gonorrea completely drestroyable from infected body by quick and appropiate treatment?Is there any threat to us for our married life?possibility of sexual abnormality and problems having children?please tell me we both are horribly anxious.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:06 am

User avatar Hello,I think you are confusing gonococcal disease with herpes simplex.Zovirax is the treatment for herpes simplex.Herpes simplex is caused by a virus.There is no permanent cure for herpes simplex though out breaks can be reduced with zovirax.Gonorrhoea is well treatable with antibiotic and partner treatment effectively cures the condition.However reinfections could happen with other infected partners,and rarely relapse.Best wishes.