Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Tropical Parasite in leg or infection?

 divingdave - Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:19 am

I am living in Thailand on a small island with minimal medical care. Myself and 2 of my neighbours have all developed the same syptoms that the local clinic cannot diagnoisis.

I developed a pain inside my thigh around 2 weeks ago, like a deep bruise. The pain has slowly travlled down my leg over the last 2 weeks too just above my ankle. The track from inside my thigh is around 1 inch wide and feels like a deep bruise making walking painfull. As it crossed inside the knee and across the shin bone you can see the red track and is particularly painfull at these two sites. It travels around an inch everyday towards my foot. My two neighbours have identical symptoms although 1 guy who has had it for around a month is particularly ill. I have been given dioxyciline, pencillin and painkillers that is not having any affect. All our water comes from the mountain streams I feel like it is a parasite but there was no forum for parasites?

Anyone have any ideas? Any Tropical medicine experts here? All replies or advise would be appreciated.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:12 am

User avatar Hello,This is known as creeping eruption and caused by parasitic infection Larva Migrans caused by hookworms and most cases reported from tropical countries.Mostly transmitted from the foot from contaminated soil these larvae move around causing flares and infections.Albendazole,ivermectol would be the oral drug and external application of thabendazole would be an alternative.Do consult aphysician for further treatment.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us