Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: AIDS

Question: infected from needle?

jacobs121 - Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:18 pm

Hello everyone..
few days ago i was robbed under the threat of a needle or syringe ,i am not sure..the guy who was robbing me was holding the needle on my face putting some pressure on it.when i looked at it later,i saw a little mark on the surface of my face and little redness.no blood or deep cut.the reason i am worried is whether through this proceedure i could have been infected with hiv or any other disease.what are my chances?do you think i should get tested?

thank you in advance
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:15 pm

User avatar Hello,It requires a column of blood for HIV transmission with a high level of virus and tha mentioned is most unlikely to cause HIV transmission even hypothetically.The other condition is HepatitisB for which there need not be much blood required for transmission but then if you are immunised with a shot earlier you need not worry,and also 90% clear it in a few weeks.HepatitisC in a health care setting after needlestick injury may be 2% but they deal with fresh blood and diseased patients.While there is very little risk it would be prudent to get tested for the unlikely chances of the conditions,the later ones more considered.Best wishes.