Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: To detect gonorrhea of throat will NAAT urine test work

Ray Thomas - Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:43 pm

I supect I might have been exposed to gonorrhea through unprotected oral sex. Will the Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) urine test detect infection of the throat? To detect infection of the throat does it require a swab be taken of the potential infected area? Thank you for your consideration.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:33 am

User avatar Hello,It is very difficult to diagnose gonorrhea at extragenital sites who are asymptomatic.Culture and NAAT tests do require a swab from site but the sensitivity has been sometimes diasppointing.This may be because the organisms are in low number and overwhelmed by the local bacteria.The undiagnosed would become reservoirs for infection.False positive tests are common. FDA as I understand has not cleared NAAT test for throat site .Pharyngeal throat swabs for culture for GC in asymptomatic patients is the gold standard.Best wishes.
 Ray Thomas - Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:51 pm

Thank you Doctor for taking the time to answer my question. Finally a straight answer. Happy holidays.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:57 am

User avatar Hello,Thank you and it is a pleasure.With my good wishes.