Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Do flu symptoms precede or follow a herpes outbreak?

visiwave - Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:57 pm

I had unprotected sex awhile back and a few days afterwards I had what i think may have been a herpes outbreak: First a red, pimple-like bump on my left buttocks cheek, followed by 4-5 small red bumps later on, spaced out about 1/2 to 1 inch apart. They hurt slightly.

The bumps started drying up 1-2 after they appeared and by day 3 or 4 they were almost completely faded.

Now, however, *after* they faded (they can still be seen but mostly gone), i'm developing flu symptoms. Today after lunch i started feeling feverish, achy and got a sore throat.

I'm scared to death that i have herpes. I've read that flu symptoms usually precede outbreaks, is it possible that my flu symptoms are connected to herpes or could it just be a coincidence? Thank you for reading!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:09 pm

User avatar Hello,While herpes simplex is a sexually transmitted disease and could occur in various locations, buttocks are not the preffered site and commoner in the genital area.Also the characterestic feature is recurrence.Since it is only a single episode and not vesicular ie fluid filled the chances are that it is only a bacterial folliculitis.
The fever following again is unlikely to be related to this episode.
If there is a recurrence you should get tested,and it is unlikely to be herpes with your presentation.