Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Skin irritation on the side of penis

 jamesbrown - Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:58 am


I have a skin irritation on the side of my private part. Initially it looked like a mosquito bite bite (a small bumb). It now seems to be redish and circular. I have tried lamisil cream but it still persists. I have not been intimate for more than two years. Is this a STI and what over the counter medication can I use to cure this? This irritation has been there for more than two weeks. I do not have any pain when urinating. It is summer where I am now and hot.

 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:49 am

User avatar Hello,This looks more like an irritant dermatitis and unlikely to be an STD due to a long period of abstinence.Possiblity of injury during masturbation or use of excessive cleansing with antiseptics could have precipitated this.Best would be to use mild ointments like vaseline to soothen the skin.Fungal infections are uncommon at this location and non responsiveness to lamisil makes it less likely.If this persists do get an opinion from your doctor.Best wishes.
 convalescence - Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:56 pm

i have a similar issue, only there are a few redish hump tender spots, i have not had sex with anyone in about 4-5 months, and this started about two weeks ago, as the head of my penis dry, red and started cracking and peeling shortly after, that has subsided but now i have a few pea sized and smaller puffy red spots on the shaft of my penis, it is a bit tender in the areas, but no pus or pain, and the areas don't seem to be fragile, as i have tried to pop one, and nothing happened, my penis slightly itchy, but nothing to intense. i seem to have a rash on my arms and legs as well that itches with small bumps as well but they do not look like the ones on my penis, is this something i should be worried about?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:41 pm

User avatar Hello,

The papules on the body and on the shaft of penis associated with itching gives me an impression that you are suffering from an attack scabies. The important point is to look out for spread of this condition from another source (maybe one among your partner or friend).If confirmed, treatment would be in the form of application of "Permethin cream" applied all over the body,once a week multiplied by two applications. This is caused by a parasitie which tends reside on skin and/or clothing. All clothes should be soaked in hotwater and ironed.Do check in with your doctor,for confirmation of diagnosis.If so,do get your partner/s to be treated also.

With Best Wishes,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us