Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Can A STD test mistake HSV 1 for 2?

demolitionlover627 - Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:17 am

About a year ago, I had an STD test just to be sure I was clean of everything.
My blood test came back clear and they took a sample from my penis which also came back clear.

The doctor however told me that I had herpes. He couldn't however tell me which type, when I asked type 1 or 2? and turns out now I can see how inexperienced the doctor was.
I know I have a history of HSV1 because I have had cold sores on my mouth since I was a small child, and my mother had them, sister had them, so forth.

But I was curious if the STD test could have mistaken type 1 for 2 or if the virus is in your blood automatically because a patient has a history of type 1. What makes this even harder is the fact that he wouldn't specify the type.
I haven't had any outbreaks whatsoever in my genital region anywhere, but to this day I continue to get a cold sore about twice or more a year on my lip.

Thank you your answer is appreciated greatly.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:48 am

User avatar Hello,There are specific tests and nonspecific tests for HSV.It all depends what tests were ordered.The ELISA test can not distinguish between type 1 and 2 and cross react.Viral cultures are done on active vesicles or blisters so do PCR testing which are specific.Since you have tested negative there should be no cause for concern.Best wishes.