Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: nipple piercing infected?

stef_bella - Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:34 am

don't know if this should go in here but i got my nipple pierced about 2 weeks ago and it was producing alot of crust but i presumed that was normal now my nipple is producing a yellowish pus not always sometime it is just clear and sometimes there is a bit of blood there and the holes where it has been pierced have got about 1-2mm bigger it doesnt hurt and there isno swelling either. im a bit worried it may be infected ive never had any problems with my other piercings
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:15 am

User avatar Hi stef_bella,
Your description certainly indicates a possible infection. Have you been cleaning the area and applying an anti-bacterial ointment? If the symptoms don't subside I would suggest an evaluation to prevent any other complications.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 meganchaisson - Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:46 am

Hello I am a 23 year old female and i just got my nipples pierced for the second time 4 weeks ago. The first time that i got them pierced i had no problems, but i took them out when i was pregnant. You still can see where i got them pierced the first time and i asked the piercer to pierce them again in the same spot. I thought that he did up until today. When i woke up this morning, i noticed that a blister came up and that it was where my nipples were pierced the first time. When i went to go clean it yellow puss came out of the blister and then a little bit of blood. I do not know what i did wrong because i cleaned them the same way that i cleaned them before. What do you think is wrong and what should i do?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:02 am

User avatar Hi meganchaisson,
Was this a reputable piercer? Drainage such as you describe indicates infection. An evaluation by your physician is warranted as treatment with a course of antibiotics may be required.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us