Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Herpes Vs Chicken Pox Antibodies

khajoor - Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:55 pm

I got my blood tested for herpes antibodies and it came up positive. I have had chicken pox when I was in high school. I have never had an outbreak and hence don't think i have herpes. Could it have come up positive because I had chicken pox in my childhood? Are the antibodies that the tests look for the same for HHV-1, HHV-2 and Chicken pox (also a herpes virus)? Thank you for your help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:41 pm

These are two different, though related, viruses. Chickenpox and Shingles are caused by the Herpes varicella virus. Herpes simplex and varicella zoster are members of the virus family Herpesviridae but they can be distinguished in testing so this would not be a mistake based on your history of chickenpox.