Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Serotonin syndrome/invisible rash on hands

Chiller - Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:29 am

I use about 30 supplements a day, including probiotics, multi-vitamins, vitamin c, resveratrol, n-acetyl cysteine, triphala, DMAE.

But the other day I added St Johns Wort to my regimen, and later that evening I took around 3000mg L-tryptophan.

I couldn't sleep the same night, until about 7am...very weird, but I later found out that mixing MAOI's (St Johns Wort) with L-tryptophan is not advisable and could cause Serotinin Syndrome.

I had one of the worst days of my life that day. I am better now, but I have a hand rash from my little finger to wrist plus the area at the bottom of thumb, the "fat" part of the hand....It doesn't scratch extremely much, but enough to make me scratch it almost all the time...

My question is, is this a sympton of serotinin syndrome and should I just wait some more days to see if the rash disappears, or could it be something entirely else, like scabies or bedbugs....? Or could it be a result of taking too many supplements(since i added 3-4 new supplements about a week ago to my regiment), I heard many supplements can put a strain on the liver, etc...
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:05 pm

User avatar Hello,Serotonin syndrome refers to a condition in which multiple drugs lead to excess serotonin and nerve stimulation, and is a potentially fatal condition.
Restlessness,diaorrhea,poor coordination,hyperreflexia,sweating,confusion,tremors are the symptoms.
There are isolated cases with itching but then these could be caused by one or combination of drugs causing allergy rather than the syndrome itself.
Despite your being better you must seek professional help at the earliest.
Bestwishes.