Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Transmitting oral herpes 1 to genitals of partner

Shoestring - Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:35 am

How likely is it that I would transmit my oral herpes 1 to my partner when performing oral sex on her?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:08 am

though Herpes I and Herpes type II belong to the same group, yet behave differently. The predominant mode of transmission of herpes type I is non sexual while type II sexual. The type I has more preference to the phase while type II to the genitalia. Though it is possible for the type I to infect the genitalia, the chances of getting a clinical infection are indeed most unlikely. At best, it maybe a mild non recurrent infection. Basically the Herpes viruses are latent infections and the virus inhabits the ganglia of the nerves. Most cases of type I are acquired in childhood but they do not suffer from clinical disease.
Best Wishes.