Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Hand Foot and Mouth

Auntiet - Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:57 pm

The children I nanny all got Hand Foot and Mouth last week. I started getting the blisters in my mouth after having a temp 2 nights ago. Their parents and my husband havent gotten it yet. I spoke to my mother and she said I had it when i was younger would that be a reason why I have it when the other adults are not getting it? I have always washed my hands and been very careful about cleaning things after they have used them. Also I know tylenol and other pain meds help but what else can i do to stop the awful pain in the throat?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:21 am

User avatar Hello,Hand foot and mouth disease is a viral condition mainly of childhood.While adults could get it this is more easily transmitted in children.Sometimes adults may carry disease but may not experience symptoms.
The most important thing here is to give adequate fluids to children.Otherwise there are chances for dehydration.If the oral and throat lesions are severe, intravenous fluids may be needed.
There is no specific treatment.Mouth washes may be useful.milk based foods may be easier to take than fruit juice.Recovery is generally a rule in a week or so.
Best wishes