Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Rabies: contagious between humans?

Foreigner - Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:32 pm

My wife and I live in South America. Recently, she was bitten by a stray dog. We immediately got the first shot and later kissed without remembering that she may have been exposed to rabies. I've read that rabies is passed through saliva, but I've also read that rabies can only be shed once symptoms appear. Although she had no symptoms and had the first shot, am I at risk for getting rabies and should I get the post-exposure shots?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:54 am

Rabies is not transmitted from human to human so don't worry about that. Also, if your wife had the preventive treatment, she will not get the disease at all. It is true that you do not shed this without actually having the disease and you are correct that there would be symptoms.

Best wishes to you both.