Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Rabies shots for previouly vaccinated persons

feather - Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:35 pm

I got my first post-exposure rabies vaccine (TRCS Verorab / PVRV) in Feb 2003 after I got scratched by a stray dog. The doctor gave me the shots on days 0, 3, 7, 30, 90 (no shot on day 14). I just got bitten by another stray dog yesterday. I got a rabies shot yesterday (TRCS Verorab) at another hospital. The doctor at this hospital said that I do not need to get the second shot on day 3. He said if I needed to make sure it would be better to get the second shot 1-2 weeks later. But when I check on the web, a number of web sites, including WHO, recommend that you should get the second shot on day 3.
Which instruction should I follow? Thank you in advance.
 feather - Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:39 pm

I forgot to add that yesterday they also gave me RIG which I just found on the web that it was unneccessary. How many shots should I get now? Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:39 pm

User avatar Dear Feather,
There are two WHO approved vaccination schedules:
- Classical 5 dose intramuscular regime (“ Essen” regimen): one dose of the vaccine
should be administered on days 0, 3, 7, 14 and 28 in deltoid region or, in small children, into the antero- lateral area of the thigh muscle;
- As an alternative, the 2- 1- 1 regimen may be used. Two doses are given on day 0 in the deltoid muscle, right and left arm. In addition one dose in the deltoid muscle on day 7
and one on day 21.

As regards RIG, you should receive it if your bites are classified as category 3:

Category III: Single or multiple transdermal bites, scratches or contamination of mucous
membrane with saliva (i. e. licks) use immunoglobulin plus vaccine.

Please refer to the rabies page on The Doctor's Lounge:

Rabies

What is predisposing you to this kind of exposure?