Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Rabies shots for previouly vaccinated persons

feather - Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:35 pm

I got my first post-exposure rabies vaccine (TRCS Verorab / PVRV) in Feb 2003 after I got scratched by a stray dog. The doctor gave me the shots on days 0, 3, 7, 30, 90 (no shot on day 14). I just got bitten by another stray dog yesterday. I got a rabies shot yesterday (TRCS Verorab) at another hospital. The doctor at this hospital said that I do not need to get the second shot on day 3. He said if I needed to make sure it would be better to get the second shot 1-2 weeks later. But when I check on the web, a number of web sites, including WHO, recommend that you should get the second shot on day 3.
Which instruction should I follow? Thank you in advance.
 feather - Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:39 pm

I forgot to add that yesterday they also gave me RIG which I just found on the web that it was unneccessary. How many shots should I get now? Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:39 pm

User avatar Dear Feather,
There are two WHO approved vaccination schedules:
- Classical 5 dose intramuscular regime (“ Essen” regimen): one dose of the vaccine
should be administered on days 0, 3, 7, 14 and 28 in deltoid region or, in small children, into the antero- lateral area of the thigh muscle;
- As an alternative, the 2- 1- 1 regimen may be used. Two doses are given on day 0 in the deltoid muscle, right and left arm. In addition one dose in the deltoid muscle on day 7
and one on day 21.

As regards RIG, you should receive it if your bites are classified as category 3:

Category III: Single or multiple transdermal bites, scratches or contamination of mucous
membrane with saliva (i. e. licks) use immunoglobulin plus vaccine.

Please refer to the rabies page on The Doctor's Lounge:

Rabies

What is predisposing you to this kind of exposure?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us