Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: HPV Treatment

 excursion - Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:08 pm

Who would you go see for HPV treatment?


 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:49 am

This depends on the sites affected. If the lesions are on the anogenital skin, you should see a genitourinary physician (also referred to as venereologist in some countries).

If on body sites not related to sexual transmission, a dermatologist can be consulted.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 excursion - Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:07 am

Thanks for the response! Well the wart is actually where my penis joins with my scrotum. In the past I would just visit a local clinic and they would burn them off but they would soon come back. I am hoping that by visiting a professional they might go away for good. I am just not sure who would be the specialist I need to visit.

 excursion - Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:17 am

Also would a genitourinary physician be listed under any other type of specialty? They are not listed under my medical plans specialists.

 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:41 am

The location of the lesions falls under the classification of genital warts.

A genitourinary physician is synonymous with a venereologist or STD specialist. If these specialties are not listed in your medical plan, you may opt for a dermatologist or dermatovenereologist.

The presence of genital warts raises the possibilty of other STDs and treatment should be accompanied by screening for other sexually transmitted diseases. Therefore, the STD specialist is the best choice for your condition.

Dr Anthony Solomon

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us