Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: ~Lump on Penis??

 ibmethatswhoib - Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:45 am

I noticed a lump on the right side of my penis about where i am circumsized...Not sure what it is...It's not any different color/doesn't hurt/doesn't's not huge just noticeable...if i pull the skin back i still see it...The only thing that concerns me is I am with a new girlfriend(2months) that was fairly sexually active before..although she said she got tested about 6 months ago and was clean... I myself have always used condoms and haven't been with that many people...So I think she might have gave me something...Does this sound like something transmitted or something normal????
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:14 pm

An answer to your question is only possible after an examination of the lump. Get it examined by a genitourinary physician or post close-up views of the lesion to enable us suggest the possibilities.

Dr Anthony Solomon
 ibmethatswhoib - Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:40 am

Well It's not really a lesion....It's not wounded or's just a bump i never saw...The flesh looks normal...It's a small bump that just raises the skin with no other symtoms....I don't have a digital camera...So I guess I can't go that route...But if I get an std test which I will very soon......Will the test show that I have genital warts??? or is that something that goes unoticed through the test? Thanks for the Help
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:23 pm

A lesion is a medical terminology used to describe an ulcer, abscess, crust, scar or swelling. So, it is used here in the right context because there is a swelling under the skin.

A routine blood test will not show if you have a genital wart, but type-specific HPV DNA tests can. Definitive diagnosis of genital warts can be confirmed by biopsy, although biosy is needed if the diagnosis is uncertain or the lesions do not respond to standard therapy.

It is advisable to consult a genitourinary physician for evaluation of the swelling.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us