Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: genital warts

kodiack777 - Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:51 pm

I was treated back in 1982 with a liquid wart solution that killed the warts and kept them
away for 10 years. I was then treated in 1997 with a lazer which left a big hole that took
weeks to heal. The warts came back in months and now i am wanting to know if i can just buy the liquid solution and deal with them myself. The doctor that treated me the second time said that they don't use the liquid anymore. I think it was saliclyic acid.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:18 am

There are more effective drugs now for genital warts which can be applied by the patient but must be prescribed by a physician. Your doctor must however confirm the diagnosis before prescribing, so show the lesions to him. Your treatment should be accompanied by screening for other sexually transmitted diseases.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine