Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Pricked by syringe

pricked - Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:00 am

I was cleaning out a toilet cystern & was pricked by a syringe that was jammed in there. The toilet is in a house I have lived for 9 months so the needle would have been there for a least that long, is there any chance of an infection from this ?
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:05 am

User avatar If the skin was broken by something that was in the toilet your chance of an infection are good, since the toilet isn't a very clean place. As far as HIV or hepatitis, those diseases cannot live outside the body for very long, so your risk there is low.
Keep the wound clean, use Neosporin, and watch for any signs of infection such as redness, swelling or discharge.