Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Fungal infections

Question: Tinea capitis

dawalt - Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:40 pm

I was told by my brother in-law, who is a general practitioner, that I have what is called Tinea capitis. I'm loosing a lot of hair from this. I've used dandruf shampoo with no relief. I also have reoccuring nail fungus. He recomended Diflucan one tablet for three days. What is your opinion?

Thanks so much for any help I can get.
 dsjeya - Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:35 am

u can repeat the treatment
since u have nailfungus in nails too a 3 month course of grisofulvin wlll help.topical clotrimazole can be applied
 monicasev - Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:57 pm

My 7 year old daughter developed a scaly rash on the nape of her neck under her hair. She has been seen twice by different dermatologists. She was first diagnosed with tinea capitis (ringworm) and then with a "fungal infection" -- not specified (but it grew rapidly in lab conditions). She has taken griseofulvin and used topical ketoconozale. Then when 2-3 months went by and it didnt' help, she was prescribed with another anti=fungal oral medication. She has also been using T-Cell shampoo, ketoconozale cream, shampoo, and various steriod topicals. All to no avail. It's itchy, the hair doesnt break off, it's reddish with large white scales.

HELP!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us