Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Cut on heel of hand

SteelCurtn75 - Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:20 pm

I was playing football at a local park and ran past a soccer goal post and not seeing a small hook like thing on it put my hand on it and it cut the bottom of my hand pretty badly. The cut looks very unpleasant but its not deep so that I would need stitches. As soon as I cut it I washed it out with some sort of wet nap that was in a first aid kit, put some cream on it that was in the kit as well, and then wrapped it with some medical tape and left that on there for about 24 hours. My question is what is the best method of letting it heal? When I removed the tape the skin around the cut kind of looks like it does after swimming... it's white and kind of wrinkly (which I think may just be sweat that was under the bandage). Will the cut heal better if I leave it open and let air get to it or if I continue to apply the creams and then wrapping it w/ gauze and medical tape? The reason I was wrapping it before is it's on my right hand (and im right handed) and its in a spot that makes it hard to write and do other things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:55 am

User avatar Keep it clean and dry.
Appy an antibiotic ointment such as neosporin, and cover it with gauze or a bandaid.
Watch for signs of infection, such as redness, heat, swelling, or discharge. If you develop an infection, see a doctor.
When was your last tetanus shot? You may need to get one if you haven't had it in many years, or can't remember when the last one was.
 SteelCurtn75 - Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:38 am

im pretty sure it's been in the last couple years