Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Pretty painful...

ninja2005 - Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:33 pm

Hello medical staff.

I'm 26 years old, probably 30lbs overweight and in otherwise good health. Recently I've been experiencing repeated pain in my right side just below my ribs (below the false ribs.) The pain comes in pangs for a short while, sometimes up to 5 minutes, then go away. I've tried the usual, standing up, loosening my belt & clothes, not eating gassy foods, but it's been persistant over the last week and a half.

It's been bothering me at work, at home, while driving and I'm not sure what to do. I've never had this sort of pain before.

What are some steps I should take to try and figure out what's going on? Does it sound like I need to see a doctor right away or should I give it some more time?
 Nurse4you - Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:23 pm

Hi Ninja-
What you are describing could be a few different things. It's hard to say for sure without being able to examine you or run some tests, but, here goes!
Sme of the possibilities include Appendicitis, Cholecystitis (Gall Bladder-blocked bile duct?) or Pleurisy. Pleurisy is inflammation of the thin layers of tissue (pleura) covering the lungs and the chest cavityPleurisy is inflammation of the thin layers of tissue (pleura) covering the lungs and the chest cavity. PAin is worse with deep breaths.
Have you experienced any nausea along with these symptoms?
Another possibility, depending on the location of the pain is renal calculi (kidney stones).
I suggest a trip to your physician at your earliest convience.
Hope this helps and good luck!