Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Pretty painful...

 ninja2005 - Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:33 pm

Hello medical staff.

I'm 26 years old, probably 30lbs overweight and in otherwise good health. Recently I've been experiencing repeated pain in my right side just below my ribs (below the false ribs.) The pain comes in pangs for a short while, sometimes up to 5 minutes, then go away. I've tried the usual, standing up, loosening my belt & clothes, not eating gassy foods, but it's been persistant over the last week and a half.

It's been bothering me at work, at home, while driving and I'm not sure what to do. I've never had this sort of pain before.

What are some steps I should take to try and figure out what's going on? Does it sound like I need to see a doctor right away or should I give it some more time?
 Nurse4you - Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:23 pm

Hi Ninja-
What you are describing could be a few different things. It's hard to say for sure without being able to examine you or run some tests, but, here goes!
Sme of the possibilities include Appendicitis, Cholecystitis (Gall Bladder-blocked bile duct?) or Pleurisy. Pleurisy is inflammation of the thin layers of tissue (pleura) covering the lungs and the chest cavityPleurisy is inflammation of the thin layers of tissue (pleura) covering the lungs and the chest cavity. PAin is worse with deep breaths.
Have you experienced any nausea along with these symptoms?
Another possibility, depending on the location of the pain is renal calculi (kidney stones).
I suggest a trip to your physician at your earliest convience.
Hope this helps and good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us