Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: microscopic hematuria

clairebear9898 - Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:27 pm

I'm an 18 y/o female and I have painless microscopic hematuria. Every once and awhile, though, there will be some visible blood, but only about one time once a month. Recently I went to my doctor for a pre-college physical, and there was a small trace of protein in my urine. I've been to a urologist and had ultrasounds, urine cultures, and bloodwork, and since he couldn't find a cause with any of that, he kind of dismissed it. I read a doctor reply in someone's previous post about Ibprofuen causing hematuria. I take prescription Ibprofuen a few times a month when I'm on my period....could that be a cause??
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:17 am

User avatar Hi clairebear9898,
In a small percentage of people, there may be small amounts of protein and blood in the urine without an identifiable cause. Asymptomatic/painless hematuria has a variety of causes it may also be drug induced by, ie., NSAID's (Ibuprofen). However, this typically occurs with significant usage. Even though you have had an evaluation by a Urologist, I would suggest that you also be evaluated by a Nephrologist to rule out any renal abnormalities.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us