Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: GFR of 62 in patient w/multiple diseases

calhawaiigirl - Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:36 am

Hi. I am a 53 yr old white female with a GFR of 62. I have had blood in my urine at least the last 2 months and the minor problems have been ruled out (infection.) I have had Interstital Cystitis for years but try to control flare ups w/diet. The blood in the urine does not seem to be related to IC because I normally have white cells too. Blood in my urine is not normal for me. Should I be concerned about the GFR and the blood? Should I see my urologist? Or as long as it is over 60 should I not worry? I also have osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, early relaxation w/diastolic dysfunction, spots on lungs, bronchiectasis, minor asthma, biatrial enlargement, recurring bronchitis, Grave's then thyroid ablation so now secondary hypothyroidism, GERD, hypercholesterolemia, borderline osteoporosis, spinal stenosis, and macrolytic anemia. I have a family history of early heart disease, diabetes, and my sister was on dialyisis for awhile. Thank you for your opinion.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:47 pm

User avatar Generally a GFR above 60 is considered normal. 62 is borderline and should be monitored periodically.

The blood in the urine is more concerning. There are many causes of hematuria. I recommend that you follow up with your doctor about this. There are several tests that can be done to determine the cause. If you already have a urologist this is a good place to start.

Hope this helps.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us