Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: GFR of 62 in patient w/multiple diseases

calhawaiigirl - Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:36 am

Hi. I am a 53 yr old white female with a GFR of 62. I have had blood in my urine at least the last 2 months and the minor problems have been ruled out (infection.) I have had Interstital Cystitis for years but try to control flare ups w/diet. The blood in the urine does not seem to be related to IC because I normally have white cells too. Blood in my urine is not normal for me. Should I be concerned about the GFR and the blood? Should I see my urologist? Or as long as it is over 60 should I not worry? I also have osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, early relaxation w/diastolic dysfunction, spots on lungs, bronchiectasis, minor asthma, biatrial enlargement, recurring bronchitis, Grave's then thyroid ablation so now secondary hypothyroidism, GERD, hypercholesterolemia, borderline osteoporosis, spinal stenosis, and macrolytic anemia. I have a family history of early heart disease, diabetes, and my sister was on dialyisis for awhile. Thank you for your opinion.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:47 pm

User avatar Generally a GFR above 60 is considered normal. 62 is borderline and should be monitored periodically.

The blood in the urine is more concerning. There are many causes of hematuria. I recommend that you follow up with your doctor about this. There are several tests that can be done to determine the cause. If you already have a urologist this is a good place to start.

Hope this helps.