Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: GFR of 62 in patient w/multiple diseases

 calhawaiigirl - Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:36 am

Hi. I am a 53 yr old white female with a GFR of 62. I have had blood in my urine at least the last 2 months and the minor problems have been ruled out (infection.) I have had Interstital Cystitis for years but try to control flare ups w/diet. The blood in the urine does not seem to be related to IC because I normally have white cells too. Blood in my urine is not normal for me. Should I be concerned about the GFR and the blood? Should I see my urologist? Or as long as it is over 60 should I not worry? I also have osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, early relaxation w/diastolic dysfunction, spots on lungs, bronchiectasis, minor asthma, biatrial enlargement, recurring bronchitis, Grave's then thyroid ablation so now secondary hypothyroidism, GERD, hypercholesterolemia, borderline osteoporosis, spinal stenosis, and macrolytic anemia. I have a family history of early heart disease, diabetes, and my sister was on dialyisis for awhile. Thank you for your opinion.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:47 pm

User avatar Generally a GFR above 60 is considered normal. 62 is borderline and should be monitored periodically.

The blood in the urine is more concerning. There are many causes of hematuria. I recommend that you follow up with your doctor about this. There are several tests that can be done to determine the cause. If you already have a urologist this is a good place to start.

Hope this helps.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us