Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: Renal failure and confusion

taahern - Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:19 am

This question is really about my mother. She had renal failure approximately 5 weeks ago. She's 71 and diabetic but she's always been good with her sugar. She had a heart attack at 50 (triple-bypass) and a stroke at 63. She's been in the hospital for 3
weeks and is receiving dialysis, however, she is still really confused and babbling. She has a pacemaker so an MRI is out of the question. The doctors are baffled and are taking a wait-and-see approach. Is it possible that she will recover neurologically? Could she be permanently brain-damaged? Do you have any suggestions for trying to bring her back to lucidity? I'm at the hospital every day and would be willing to try anything.
Thanks.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:37 pm

Sorry to hear about your mothers condition. Confusion is a known symptom of renal failure. It should be noted that her blood glucose level may be more difficult to control given her current situation and may also lead to confusion. Another cause of confusion common in renal failure patients is electrolyte imbalance and/or blood pH changes. I am sure these have all been checked by her doctors. I think a CT scan of the brain should also be done to determine the possibility of stroke since she has multiple risk factors.
 taahern - Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:47 am

Thank you, Doctor.