Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: confused about diagnosis of stage 3 ckd

 mccld - Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:50 am

i an a 56 year old female with no history of any physical problems. I weighed about 246 pounds at the start of this problem and i now weigh about 188 pounds. I take a florsidiimined? and another diaurectic that is supposed keep my potassium up. About 8 months ago i developed carpal tunnel syndrome in both hand and i also began to swell in my legs and hands My blood pressure is pretty consistantly 110/70 or lower. My glucose has been around 105 on every lab test. My creatinine is 1.3 and has been this way for the last 6 months. They have taken chest xrays, a doppler ultra sound to r/o heart diesease, a ultral sound on my kidneys which said my kidneys were sligtly larger then 10 cm but that there was a mass on my right kidney. I then had a ct scan which found no mass but that my spleen appeared to be enlarged.
All other tests other thanlow potassium, have been in the normal range. My doctor has offered no explanation for this and other than the diurectic and watching my salt intalke I am not following any type of treatment plan. Is there anything i should be doing?
thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:08 pm

User avatar I'm a little uncertain as to your actual diagnosis. It appears that you may not have an actual diagnosis. Your blood pressure is well under control so the diuretics you are taking appear to be working very well or you are taking them for a different reason.

You may be helped by seeing a nephrologist to better characterize your kidney issues.

Please feel free to post a follow up if we can be of more assistance to you.

Best wishes.
 mccld - Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:21 pm

i am seeing a nephrologist>it Is the nephrologist who told me i had stage 3 kidney disease, but never gave me a reason for it. The last visit she told me to come back in 6 months. At the same time, a ct scan said that i had a possible enlargement of my spleen and the nephrologist referred me to a gastroentrologist. He said that he could feel a definite enlargement of the spleen and possibly the liver.
I am not feeling particularly ill,the only problems i am having are joint pain and swelling. i would really like to know why this is happening.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us