Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Dialysis

Question: After effects of Dialysis

windward - Sat May 12, 2007 4:56 am

Mr Henderson
Age 57
Sex Male

History
Renel faliure been on hemo-dialysis for the past 6 mounths.

Question:
About 1 hour after dialysis my voice gets very weak as if i am about to lose it, i also get hot and feel very faint if i try to do anything which makes me have to sit for about 3 to 4 hours when everything seems to return to normal do you know what might be causeing these effects i know that dialysis is an aggrssive treatment and people suffer washout afterwards but
these symptons are different to what i have been experincing normaly
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:45 pm

User avatar Hi windward,
Have you informed the dialysis staff that you are experiencing these symptoms? Voice changes are not typically a common complaint that I have encountered after dialysis treatment. The faint feeling may be related to hypotension (decreased blood pressure). I would strongly encourage you to make the team aware of your symptoms so that if a programming adjustment to the machine is required to adjust the amount of fluid removed it can be done. This may assist with alleviation of symptoms. Best wishes.