Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrotic Syndrome

Question: want to try some supplements?

munda_kamaal - Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:56 pm

Hello everyone,

I am 23 years old and suffering from nephrotic syndrome. Following are the list of medications I am currently on..
1. Prednisone 50mg
2. Metaprolol 95mg
3. Frusimide 120mg
4. Inhibace 5mg

My doctor told me that he will be starting me on neoral capsules (cyclosporine) and will be decreasing prednisone slowly, as prednisone is not working on me anymore and making the condition worse.

My question is that - I wanted to try the following supplements, is it safe for me to try the following supplements?
- acetyl-L-carnitine 500mg once a day
- L-ornithine 100mg once a day

Kind regards
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:23 pm

User avatar From what I was able to find there is not good data regarding interactions of the supplements that you are considering. To further complicate the matter, there is not good data that I could find on these supplements in nephrotic syndrome.

I would strongly advise you to be incredibly cautious if you choose to use them. You may want to talk with your nephrologist, though. They may have more information than I was able to find.