Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: kidney cyst

 Anonymous - Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:07 pm

what is a kidney cyst I am swelling over my wholee body
 Anonymous - Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:08 pm

good day to you! no one can really give an accurate assessment on the disease you have. In the first place, you cannot say it is a cysts not unless an ultrasound or any other diagnostic procedure was made already. Mere pain in the flank does not really suggest renal cysts- it may be pyelonephritis, or kidney stones. If you are a female patient, have an OB-GYN clearance, who knows you might be having Pelvic inflammatory disease already.
Swelling all over may mean "anasarca" or generalized edema. Nephrotic syndrome usually causes this. Consult a doctor and have urinalysis - check for proteinuria or proteins in the urine which is generally an abnormal finding.
Do you have high blood pressure? Does is vary? You might be having pheochromocytoma if this is the case.
Then again, it is best that you consult your doctor. If you are sure that it is really renal in origin, better consult a nephrologists.
Get well my friend
 Anonymous - Wed May 21, 2003 11:02 am

I do have a cyst on my kidney and it has been hurting really bad. I don't have health Ins now so i don't want to go to the Dr. Is it bad if a cyst burts? I know I should go have it looked at to see how large it is etc but I can't afford it.


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us