Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: sudden incontinence

 Anonymous - Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:12 pm

I am 52 yo female, with a past history of frequency and urgency, altho I have rarely had a bladder infection. I am obese, altho not morbidly. I have had several pregnancies, and a oopherectomy 10 yrs ago. I have done FS for glucose, with a high normal range, and in the last 2 months have developed nighttime urgency with enuresis.I have taken ditropan for the last 3 yrs that suddenly is completely ineffective.
I'm frustrated and to say the least... TIRED! I am voiding on average every 45 minutes, and sometimes more often.
What can you suggest?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:13 pm

User avatar Dear guest,

Thank you very much for using our website.

What you are describing could be related to a new urinart tract infection or due to you developing frank diabetes.

Best line of action is to check a urine analysis and if this is normal or if it shows the presence of sugar in the urine then it is best to check a blood sugar.

If every thing comes back normal then the best thing is to be checked by a urologist to make sure that the cause of incontinence is not related to a weak bladder muscle that needs surgical intervention.

If you had any other neurological symptoms this could be related to a nerve problem in the process of controlling your bladder so you might also need to see a neurologist.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website and good luck.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us