Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: sudden incontinence

Anonymous - Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:12 pm

I am 52 yo female, with a past history of frequency and urgency, altho I have rarely had a bladder infection. I am obese, altho not morbidly. I have had several pregnancies, and a oopherectomy 10 yrs ago. I have done FS for glucose, with a high normal range, and in the last 2 months have developed nighttime urgency with enuresis.I have taken ditropan for the last 3 yrs that suddenly is completely ineffective.
I'm frustrated and to say the least... TIRED! I am voiding on average every 45 minutes, and sometimes more often.
What can you suggest?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:13 pm

User avatar Dear guest,

Thank you very much for using our website.

What you are describing could be related to a new urinart tract infection or due to you developing frank diabetes.

Best line of action is to check a urine analysis and if this is normal or if it shows the presence of sugar in the urine then it is best to check a blood sugar.

If every thing comes back normal then the best thing is to be checked by a urologist to make sure that the cause of incontinence is not related to a weak bladder muscle that needs surgical intervention.

If you had any other neurological symptoms this could be related to a nerve problem in the process of controlling your bladder so you might also need to see a neurologist.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and good luck.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us