Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: sudden incontinence

Anonymous - Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:12 pm

I am 52 yo female, with a past history of frequency and urgency, altho I have rarely had a bladder infection. I am obese, altho not morbidly. I have had several pregnancies, and a oopherectomy 10 yrs ago. I have done FS for glucose, with a high normal range, and in the last 2 months have developed nighttime urgency with enuresis.I have taken ditropan for the last 3 yrs that suddenly is completely ineffective.
I'm frustrated and to say the least... TIRED! I am voiding on average every 45 minutes, and sometimes more often.
What can you suggest?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:13 pm

User avatar Dear guest,

Thank you very much for using our website.

What you are describing could be related to a new urinart tract infection or due to you developing frank diabetes.

Best line of action is to check a urine analysis and if this is normal or if it shows the presence of sugar in the urine then it is best to check a blood sugar.

If every thing comes back normal then the best thing is to be checked by a urologist to make sure that the cause of incontinence is not related to a weak bladder muscle that needs surgical intervention.

If you had any other neurological symptoms this could be related to a nerve problem in the process of controlling your bladder so you might also need to see a neurologist.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and good luck.